Bridge M Timeline
This bridge appears in the 1786 Yates map of Lancashire and probably appears on Mike Clarke’s 1775 bridge list as "Middle Marsh Bridge", It was probably a swing bridge at that time. The bridge takes its name from William Miller, a Liverpool Solicitor (and local coal merchant) who owned the castle on the waterfront at this point. The area to the West (now industrial and docklands) was once an elegant resort, centred on the castle.
The bridge suffered structural damage during WW2 and was replaced during the post war regeneration.