Bridge 4A Timeline
This bridge site appears in the 1786 Yates map of Lancashire and on Mike Clarke’s 1775 bridge list as "Gausey Lane Bridge". It was probably a swing bridge at that time. The present bridge was built in 1930 (See Gallery). Before that a stone arch bridge was here.
The official name of the bridge is "Gorsey Lane Bridge", but it is more commonly called "Cookson's Bridge", after the family that ran the pub (originally “The Taylor’s Arms”) for most of the 20th century.