There was once (1891 to 1938) a wharf with a weighing bridge on the towpath side, on the East side of the bridge. The coping stones atop the wash wall extend a very long way East along the bank from bridge. Stones seem to have been chipped by metal (maybe milk churns;-
Rimrose Brook runs through a culvert under the canal, somewhere between here and Swift’s bridge (5). Most maps appear to show the culvert meeting the canal at two points which are approximately opposite Cumberland Avenue and the pipe bridge on Poulsom drive. The housing on the offside was built to house the bombed out people of Bootle and Liverpool after WW2.
The remains of an enigmatic WW2 Wharf can be found on the offside. Built at the start of WW2, with a large and sophisticated warehouse (locally known as “the cork store”, burnt down around 1968). The Warehouse was sold to the local corporation as soon as the war ended. What could it have been used for? According to Mike Clarke’s “Liverpool and its Canal”, stop planks were inserted in all the slots from here to Liverpool at night during the war, so this wharf was the loading/unloading point for traffic arriving after dark.
Cookson's Bridge Pub takes it's name from the 20th century landlord, Jim Cookson. The pub was originally called "The Tailors Arms". The pub appears on the earliest OS Maps (1846). This was once a main Packet Stop but the pub does not appear on very early maps
Both banks of the canal, and the back of the towpath, support a variety of wildlife habitats, especially the land next to the pub car park which used to be seven small "Piggeries". It is now wild.
Towards Liverpool, the canal opens onto Rimrose Valley Park, a great place for bird watchers.