Welcome Bridge Map Places to Visit Canal Topics Miscellaneous


According to Mike Clarke’s 1775 bridge list, there were two stone arch bridges on this stretch of canal when it was first cut;- Swift’s bridge, and what came to be called “Knight’s” bridge.  All other bridges were wooden swing or draw bridges at that time.  But the road traffic soon became too heavy, and the busiest swing bridges were soon replaced by stone arches, which in turn were mostly replaced by iron, reinforced concrete and steel “beam” bridges as metallurgical technology advanced. These are four types of bridge to be found on this stretch of canal:

  1. Stone Arch Bridge. This includes bridge 8 (Blue Anchor), Bridge 5 (Swift’s) and middle section of bridge F (Boundary). Swift’s bridge is the oldest, dating from 1774 when the canal was built.  
  2. Swing Bridge.  This includes bridges 9 (Hancock’s) and 6 (Netherton), both of which are electrically operated by CRT staff only. Hancock’s bridge is operated by CRT because of an agreement with the local council regarding traffic. Netherton bridge is locked to prevent vandalism, and only CRT personnel have the key. Bridge 2I is currently being replaced by a hand operated swing bridge.
  3. Beam Bridge.  Most of the bridges on this section are beam bridges, but they can be divided into sub categories.  


A bridge is comprised of a deck (The bit you walk or drive on) and something to support the deck. The bridge is classified by the type of support used.

In engineering, supports come in three types: